Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I prefer to call it "low-key"

I forgot to talk about my new year's eve in my last post. I got too wrapped up in my inner Oprah. Speaking of which, I started reading some other blogs, some from people I know and some from strangers and now I feel GUILTY because everyone is all mother earthy and waxing philosophically about 2007 and what they accomplished and what they learned and what they are going to do in 2008 and blah, blah, blah and I talked about a highway closure. WTF ME?! I'm CLEARLY not all mother earthy (but I do recycle), I don't like to sit around and cry with my girlfriends about how I can make the world a better place and I don't really ever feel like I accomplish much, let alone make a list of said accomplishments. Large parts of me wish I were more like that, more spiritually centered or whatever the hell that means but I'm just not that girl. I try to be a nice person to whoever I encounter in my day, I try to be there for my friends and we're all busy but we all understand that if we are ever needed, we're there in a heartbeat with no guilt, I try to do nice things for people and I try to look at the sunny side of things even when they're swirling down the crapper. Even so, I still feel guilty that I didn't spend that last year getting my doctorate in world peace or building homes for the poor or finding my dream job like on the Monster.com commercial or reading Maya Angelou. Instead I got my nose pierced. Oh well. I guess if I accomplished anything it's that now you don't have to feel guilty if you didn't do those things either!

Anyhoo, back to new year's eve (damn you inner Oprah, SHUT UP ALREADY). First off, I would like to say that yes, we are lame. Secondly, not only are we lame but I stopped caring about making new year's eve a SUPER SPECTACULAR CELEBRATION about 6 years ago so being lame does not bother me. We used to go out on the town but at this point, neither of us really want to deal with the crowds or the effort of going out (LAY-Z!). We threaten to do it every year but we usually end up at my sister's house, which is where we were this year. Again. That being said, I had a loverly time. My sister and I played dual guitar hero for a couple hours, we ate massive amounts of food including some shrimp and crab legs that were so freaking huge that if I encountered either in the open ocean I would probably have a heart attack and die right there. Seriously, the shrimp were like lobster tails and the crab legs were as big as my arm. WHAT THE HELL DO THEY FEED THESE THINGS? BABIES?! Anyway, we stuffed ourselves and then plopped down on the couch and watched The Simpson's movie. At some point, my brother in law walked in to the room and said "does anyone care that it's 2 minutes till midnight?" We looked at each other and kinda went "meh." Then we heard fireworks galore and went outside, basked in the display, wished each other happy new year and then resumed our positions on the couch. That's pretty much it. Oh yeah, I also made cinnamon rolls. Mmmmm.

No comments: