Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Wrap-Up Part I

Holy bajeezus. I have the motivation of a tree sloth today. I trust you had a nice holiday or just a day off if that's the case and if not, you have 364 days until you have to do it again so REJOICE!

Christmas eve was fun, albeit a bit more low-key than the usual soiree. My sister Laura and I battled Target and the grocery one last time in the morning and man was it crowded. I don't typically shop on Christmas eve and now I know why. She even had to flip someone the Christmas bird in the parking lot after this woman tried to RAM US! Whatever, lady. Don't mess with us because we are professionals! After that jaunt we went back to her house and I got started making the food. See, that's how it works. I make food all day and they eat it. We had sausage cheese dip, buffalo chicken dip (thanks LM, you have my sister hooked), assorted cheeses, dill dip with rye bread, shrimp cocktail and teriyaki beef skewers. FOR FOUR PEOPLE. We are pigs, I know but it's once a year so screw it! After that I started working on my cake for Christmas day. I got the present cake done and it was adorable. I have pictures but they're on the new camera and I can't figure out how to get them off so I'll have to post those tomorrow. I started the spaghetti cake and got it sculpted into a bowl shape already but I ran out of fondant so I may just have to scrap it altogether. While I was carving out the spaghetti cake, Laura and Jeff decided to give one of the dogs a bath so I was merrily sculpting away at my cake, lost in my own happy little world when disaster struck. I was leveling out of the layers with a big serrated knife and somehow it slipped and I jammed it into the top of my finger. It skimmed my nail, caught my cuticle and proceeded to slice into my finger like I was filleting a side of beef. It didn't really hurt at first but then I looked down and it started gushing blood everywhere but NOT ON THE CAKE! The cake was not harmed or bloody. Anyway I ran to the sink and held it under water but it kept bleeding everywhere, which I'm certain had nothing to do with the vodka and soda I was drinking. I went into the bathroom and told Jeff that I had an "accident", which is never good because I am accident prone and am always getting hurt, and he was like WHAT DID YOU DO?! and I held up my bloody finger. He rushed me back into the kitchen and told me to hold it under the water, which I did and then he went to get a bandage. My sister came out to see what the hell happened and all of a sudden I got really dizzy and broke out in a cold sweat and told her I was going to pass out so I laid down on the kitchen floor. It was very dramatic, I'm sure. We got it to stop bleeding and I felt better so I went back to work on the cake but then it started bleeding again and I got dizzy again so I sat on the couch for a bit. What the hell? It eventually stopped for good and I was able to finish the cake but man did it suck! Now I have a bloody flap on skin on my finger and it's really gross BUT it gives me an opportunity to wear a pink Hello Kitty band-aid so that's the bright side.

Aside from that, the rest of the day was nice. We ate and then ate again and then ate some more and then had dessert. I got tons of awesome presents. Jeff usually buys me some sort of Murano glass sculpture and this year's is a beautiful and dainty little carafe. Jeff and my sister both got me necklaces, one with the London Underground symbol and another with the Paris Metro sign, Laura got me Dance, Dance, Revolution for our Wii, so I'll be making a fool of myself with that shortly, and I also have an assortment of gift cards and such. I also got 4 cake decorating books, a book on illustration and another book on starting my career as a freelance graphic designer. I think that's a hint that I need to get a job. Just kidding, honey! I love books and these are lovely, especially the cake books. I now want to make about a bajillion cakes to try out all the new stuff I learned so get ready for cake, people. YEAH CAKE!

Okay this post is freaking long so I'll continue with my Christmas Day wrap-up tomorrow and I'll show off my fancy cake. Ciao.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU? Dramatic? I can't imagine.

Really though, it does sound like a nasty wound. I saw some cool band aids today that look like tattoos. Very cliche tattoos like roses w/thorns and flames and such. I wish I would've bought them so I could give you a few for your finger. Then you could tell pp you got a finger tattoo for Xmas.