Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mum's the word

Last night was my first intermediate cake class. The beginner class was over the summer so I've had a bit of a break. I take it with my mom, which is good because she rocks at the baking part, which I generally suck at. Our last class was nice and fun but this time was......different.

The class was full of all these women who a) couldn't keep their mouths shut long enough for our instructor to speak, and b) couldn't stop one-upping each other with their cake skills, even though we are all at the same level. It got so bad at one point my mom turned to me and said she was going to hurl from the overwhelming stench of stuck-upedness. I wanted to go up and smack them all in the mouth to silence the snoot, but I just focused on my flowers. This whole class is about making flowers and borders, which is cool. We learned the reverse shell, the rosette, the rose bud and the mum. The mum was my favorite. We still had fun despite the squawking hens around us. This one woman in particular kept interrupting the instructor and felt as though we all wanted to hear her stupid stories about the cake she made for her daughter's birthday. Hey lady, guess what? We don't care so ZIP IT!

Next week we learn violets and apple blossoms. Hopefully in silence.

4 comments:

Bruce Johnson said...

"going to hurl from the overwhelming stench of stuck-upedness"...this line alone indicates that you have one cool mother.

Amy, Jeff and the kimchis said...

She indeed is one cool mom. Kinda crazy sometimes, but still cool.

Thanks for stopping by!

Gwen said...

Augh! That's so rude! To the instructor but especially to the other students.

Do you get to eat your lessons? I'll bring the milk!

Anonymous said...

It will be the same next time. I too took a class about 10 years ago, and everyone is an expert. Oh and they want you to also ooh and ahh over their work and show it off. I live in a neighboorhood like this. I have no friends, because they all make me sick. And some of them consider me a freind, only because they can one-up me very easily. Their lips keep moving and all I hear is blah blah blah.