Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Confrontation

I like to keep things here at Kimchi central at a light, neutral stance, much like the Swiss. However, today has been one of those days that has summoned me to the top of my soapbox so bear with me as I lighten my load.

I have noticed a trend among people these days who feel as though they have free reign to say whatever comes into their little heads. Some call this "being blunt" or "telling it like it is" or "not caring that you come across as a big jerk" or what have you. This type of thing tends to lead to some kind of heated confrontation, of which I am not a fan but of which I bore witness to today. That's not to say that I sit by meekly and take whatever crap is thrown at me, but I have learned many lessons in life and the most valuable has been that it's easier to catch flies with honey instead of vinegar or something like that. Maybe it's bees. I don't know but my point is that being nice and trying to work things out without getting all jacked up isn't that hard and quite frankly, it will get you a lot further than being nasty. There are lots of days that I'm crabby and don't want to fake it, but being a jerk just makes it REALLY hard to like you and want to be around you. There is another life lesson I hold valuable and that is, if you can dish it out, you better be able to take it. If you think that someone is being stupid or you don't agree with what they're saying, unless you have a REALLY good reason for it, just let it go. Why take every opportunity to point out someones flaws or shortcomings and act like you're the boss of the world? Maybe you have those same shortcomings and seeing them in someone else makes you angry at them, but you're really angry at yourself. Paging Dr. Freud!

I have been making a very concerted effort to try and change my disposition so that I can actually BE happy instead of just faking it, and the only way I have found to accomplish this is to try and stop judging those around me. Does it always work? Hell no. There are LOTS of people that ring my bell, but I try keep that private. I'm not saying don't bring up bad subjects or hide stuff under the rug, just don't approach stuff with a gigantic chip on your shoulder and expect everyone to think you're awesome. Am I saying that you should sugar coat things? Well yeah, sometimes and what's wrong with that? You may think you're being all cool and forthright by "telling it like it is", but you usually just look like a wiener and that's not good. Anyway, I'm sure I've strayed off topic but I think you get my point that people need to stop being so dang nasty and start being nice to your fellow humans. Lest you think I'm being all self-righteous, I spend a sad amount of time reading online gossip where they skewer celebs like beef tips and I will laughingly point out a shiny shirt on a man if I spot it. I said I TRY to be better.

Okay. I'm off the box. Sorry for the rant but I had to get it out so I can make room for lunch.

1 comment:

Bruce Johnson said...

I think the watch word for almost anyone is "Shut the F*CK Up" most of the time. You learn a lot more by listening and contemplating than spewing forth your thoughts on things. I spew forth on my wife, because.....well, we are married...and she doesn't pay attention anyway....but the rest of the world just needs to close their mouths and node there heads....we would all be a lot happier.