Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I'm having a hair affair.

So, I want to talk a little bit about why I'm mad at my hair. Yeah, my hair and you wanna know why? Because I've spent the last few weeks contemplating my next hair move and I finally called yesterday to make an appointment and then today, what happens? My hair looks nice. It's shiny and not effected by the weather and generally flattering, which are all things that DON'T happen. My hair and I know each other well and we've had a very storied past. VERY STORIED. I don't tend to keep the same hair style or color for a very long time. Since my first perm in 5th grade (thanks, Jan), I've been coloring, cutting, growing, curling, straightening and whatever else I can think to do to my hair. I've been every shade of red, black, blonde and purple (don't ask), highlighted, low lighted, pixied, shagged (ZING!) and many more in between. However, since last year, I decided to grow it all out and try to have long hair like a sensible person. My hair does not like to be long. It's thin, frizzy and gets stringy at the drop of a hat and I am usually irritated with it (see Hawaii story) but I thought if I grew it out, it would be easier to manage. So I did and it's longer than it's been since about 2nd grade and that's all fine and good, but I'm bored with it. I need a change. I NEED it. So, I decided to get some highlights or perhaps revisit by inner redhead and chop off a good 6 inches so I made the call and all was well. WAS WELL. Today, my grown out dye job looks fresh and my bangs are laying perfectly and there is no sign of the stringy mess I woke up with. It's like it heard me call and was all "OHNOYOUDI'NT" and now it's all mad and toying with me. My hair is a jerk like that. Anyway, my point, if there is one in all this mess, is that now I don't know what to do. If I cancel, tomorrow my hair will turn back to shit and I'll be PISSED because my hairdresser is good and hard to get into and my appointment will be gone but if I don't, this good hair may continue just long enough to lull me into complacency and then IT'S OVER. It's nice, but it's just not what I want right now. It's like when you eat a really good dinner and there's some left and your pants are about to declare war on you if you don't stop eating but the food is so good so you feel compelled to keep eating just because you think you should so you do but then you look down at your gut hanging over and you're like "GAH! JUST STOP ALREADY." That's what it's like.

Anyways, this was in my brain and I had to get it out. I have issues.

2 comments:

Gwen said...

Go to the appointment. The good day before a scheduled haircut is a classic move with recalcitrant hair.

Anonymous said...

Definitely keep your appointment w/David or you will regret it on your next bad-hair day. I know you. And that reminds me, I need to call him myself for a haircut. Thanks.