Monday, January 12, 2009

The best laid plans............


So, things don't generally go as planned for us. See, Jeff's been threatening to buy a new car for about 3 years now and he finally found one he liked that was a good deal and had all the gadgets and shiny stuff that he wanted. The problem was that it's at a dealership in a suburb of Chicago. Okay, we can deal, we'll take a little road trip and get the car. So he spent hours on the phone last week with the guy wheeling and dealing (not really, we are not good at haggling or bargaining or any of that crap) and got the deal done, put down a deposit and then BAM, Bob's your uncle. The plan was to leave Saturday morning, drive to the dealership, get the car, swing through Ikea (I have an ADDICTION to inexpensive Swedish furnishings. Don't judge), eat some Portillo's beef and then crash at the hotel for the night. Jeff had to work early in the morning on Saturday so I got up and spent a few hours frantically getting me and the kid ready, which meant packing every conceivable thing he would need which was EVERYTHING and by 9am, we were ready. Jeff got home, we packed the car, headed to my sister's to drop off the dogs and then off we went. Well, sorta. We got a call from my mom just as we got on the road telling us that they were getting a BLIZZARD in Chicago. Now, with my mom this could mean 2 inches or 3 feet (Jan, you know it's true) so I checked the weather channel in my trusty iPhone (yeah, I said iPhone. It's totally effing cool, too) and they told me that they were expecting an inch or so. Hmm.. someone is LYING.

We parked and pondered what to do and finally called my sister for weather confirmation since she is a weather guru. She got online and confirmed that they WERE indeed getting some stupid ass blizzard and that they already had 5 inches on the ground from Friday night and were expecting 5+ more that afternoon. CRAP. We were also going to be driving right into the storm like a bad movie. SUPER. We hung up and sat in silence for a minute before declaring the trip cancelled and then the subject switched to eating delicious White Castles to soothe our disappointment. We called the dealer and they are holding the car until NEXT Saturday, when we try this again. This time grandma Jan and Aunt Laura are going to get their first taste of babysitting so we can get this bitch done in one day. For 14 hours. Lord help them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mother knows best!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jan and Laura will be fine! I'm available for emotional support. Just be glad you're not leaving him with me by myself. Now that would be scary. Although once he's not a baby anymore and he's out of diapers and can tell me what's wrong, I'm all over it.