Tuesday, September 16, 2008

ramblings of meaningless fluff

On Sunday, after I got home from the shower, I collapsed into a pile of goo on the couch. My shoulders were killing me from kneading all that fondant and I had lost all motivation to do anything except watch TV. Thankfully for me, there was a Bridezillas marathon on WE, Television For When You Get Your Period. Just kidding. Not really. Who the hell are these Bridezillas and why on earth would anyone marry one of them?? They are just awful but I can't stop watching. I'm waiting for the episode where the bridesmaid either hauls off and knocks one out or the guy takes off for someone who isn't batshit crazy. If only.

Anyway, they replay the same commercials over and over and I kept seeing a commercial for a show called Amazing Wedding Cakes, which I'm pretty sure my mom had told me about at some point but as most things do, it went in one ear and out the other. Well, I put it on the Tivo and we watched it last night. It's more interesting to me than Ace of Cakes is because it's three different cake shops, one in NYC, one in Chicago and one in LA, so you get three totally different perspectives. The ladies from Chicago are my favorite because they seem like people I would hang out with and they did a stand up guitar that was totally KICK ASS. The LA ladies were extremely annoying and kind of bitchy and the NYC chicks were cool but also kind of boring, except for when they had to deliver a cake in a cab. Delivering a cake is NEVER fun. It's the absolute worst part of the job and I was very thankful to hear every one of them echo that sentiment. It's nerve wracking and there is just no way to know if things will stay put. Anyhoo, all this stuff has really made me think hard about trying to really open my own shop. I have been suffering some creative block recently, which is just AWESOME when your job requires you to be creative, and Liz has decided that it's because my brain is so jacked up on cakes right now that it doesn't want to do anything else. I have to agree because she is very wise and because my brain malfunctions regularly. Well brain, you're in luck because these chicks have inspired me and I'm going to really try and focus on getting this cake thing going as a proper side bizness. Uh oh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is also your first real job that you're required to be creative for on a daily basis. Maybe the pressure is causing the mental block. Although I'm not discounting Liz's opinion, because I think the cake dream is likely playing a part as well.

Unknown said...

You are correct, LM. I think it's probably a little from column A and a little from column B.

Gwen said...

Don't forget you're going to have your hands full of Baybee Kimchi in a couple months . . .