Tuesday, July 15, 2008

He's just too funky for me

So last week I went to Chicago to see the ledendary George Michael in concert. I say legendary because HE IS. I went with LM and my friends Mike & Brian, although LM and I drove separately. We spent the majority of the 4 1/2 hr ride car dancing, which is second only to bed dancing, which Jeff will tell you I do when i leave the 80's station on while I'm falling asleep and it's not dirty so get your mind out of the gutter. Anyway, we stayed with some friends of the boys and while I had no expectations (okay I did but I only expected it to be fabulous) they outdid themselves as wonderful hosts. They have an amazing condo in Little Italy and it's totally charming like from a movie or something. We asked one of the guys if they had a nice view of downtown and he was all "meh, it's not too bad" but we decided to venture to the rooftop deck to see for ourselves. Not too bad, huh? Well, this was the freaking view:
























Strike a pose ladies! Anyway, we had some cocktails and a delicious pre-show dinner at a little eye-talian place nearby. Imagine, Italian in Little Italy! Who knew? We were all really excited and our seats rocked (thanks Mike) because we had the first row of the balcony. OH YEAH! The stage was this big light thing that came down and projected all these videos and stuff and it was awesome. Georgie began by singing off stage and getting us all amped up and then he appeared looking trim and not bloated like I thought he would. The show was pretty much non-stop awesomeness. He played mostly everything I wanted to hear except for "I Want Your Sex" and "Killer," which is kind of a lesser known track but one of my favs nonetheless. There was A LOT of dancing ( I mean A LOT) and a lot of audience singing along and overall he did not disappoint. He played for 2 1/2 hours, included several Wham songs and gave two encores, closing with "Freedom." I felt good for him because he's out and proud of his life and it made me proud to be there with my friends. Sadly I deal with homophobia from people I know and to be in a place this packed and have everyone just happy to be whatever they want to be was a very touching experience. When we got home, we went back up to the roof to enjoy some cocktails and this was our view:

Ahhh...just lovely. Jeff and I threaten to move to Chicago on a regular basis and maybe one day we will. It's hard not to want to when you're enjoying this. Granted, we could only afford to sleep on the stoop of the building, not actually in it but let me have my moment.

5 comments:

Allie said...

Wow! That's view is amazing! And it must have been awesome to see GM live like that!

Gwen said...

I'm glad you two had such a great time!

BTW, you, my friend, are way too funky for him.

Anonymous said...

You neglected to mention that the reason we were dancing in the car so much was because the ONLY thing we listened to the entire way up was either Wham! or George Michael. That was one of my favorite parts of the trip! That, and when G.M. said, "This is probably the gayest song I ever wrote". Although it WASN'T Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go as I thought it would be. It's hard to get much gayer than that.

Amy, Jeff and the kimchis said...

Agreed....that is the gayest song hands down and I'm sure the shorty-shorts from the video in no way contributed to it's gayness

johnny_VIRUS said...

Stoked that you had a great time!!!