Friday, April 23, 2010

Just put some of that Billy May's magic putty in the hole and call it a day.

So, I went to the cardiologist yesterday. I have to say that the people there were extremely nice and I only had to wait about 10 minutes before they had me in a room. Contrast that with the last time I took Max to the doctor for a 3:20 appt and the doctor didn't come into the room until 4pm. The nurse did a quickie EKG first and then the doctor came in to explain what I kind of already knew. He drew me a picture of a heart and explained where the hole was and why it was causing problems. It was funny because he stopped mid-draw and asked me what I did for a living. When I said artist, he smiled and said he wanted to know how technical he could get. I told him I had watched ER for like 14 years, which kind of made me a doctor (not really) so he toned it down to "preschooler" level. He also told me, in a strange twist of fate, that he had been the cardiologist on staff last week that read my initial EKG and he was kind of weirded out because he said that he rarely if ever sees the patients he diagnoses. If was a fluke that I ended up in his office. Anyway, long story short, I have to have one more EKG next week, but this time they're putting me out and sticking a camera down my throat. SUPER! He is also about 98% sure that surgery is going to be the final outcome. FANTASTIC! He said the surgery isn't as invasive as it used to be and that they only have to crack open my chest if there are complications (?!) and that I'll be good as new.

So, that's what I know. Yes, it sucks on an epic level but at least they can fix it. Of course, I'm worried about the fact that I have a huge wedding cake at the end of May and that the surgery will interfere but then Jeff explained that perhaps having HEART SURGERY was more important but I digress. I've already committed and I'm not letting the bride down so SUCK IT HEART SURGERY. I'll make orchids from my bed if I have to.

No comments: