Friday, June 5, 2009

Order in the court.

So, one week from today is our official day in court to adopt Max. He'll get a bright shiny new birth certificate so we can get him his very own passport. He has a Korean passport, which I guess after next week will be more of a keepsake than anything he can use. Maybe I'll use it as a coaster. I KEED, I KEED. It's probably not absorbant enough. Anyway, I'm really excited that this is all wrapping up. Jeff and I were talking about how long ago it seemed that we were sitting in the community room of some library with another couple and a woman from Holt, not even knowing which country we wanted to adopt from, watching a video of all these people adopting these sweet little babies. I think Jeff and I lasted about 23 seconds before we were blubbering messes. To see all those kids, from all over the world, and to imagine you would be like the person on the tape, coming to the airport with the wee thing and having everyone there to meet you, was just too surreal. Until we did all that stuff. Us. We can barely remember to take the recycling to the curb even though it comes on the same day every week, and yet we've managed to adopt a freaking child! That's some crazy shit.

In the last 6 months, we've gone from bumbling new parents who could barely change the diaper of a baby who had no idea who we were or what we were saying, to a totally normal family. Well, normal is a relative term. Normally weird, perhaps. Anyway, 6 months ago I would have freaked out to find he had taken his diaper off in the middle of the night and peed in the bed but now, well, I just sigh and change the sheets. Again. We've come a long way, baby.

No comments: