Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wino Forever

Jeff's boss' birthday was the other day so he asked me to make a cake for him. His boss is a pretty cool guy and he's into things like art and wine and fancy stuff so I took some inspiration from one of my cake books and made him a wine bottle cake. It was double the fun for me because I got to also design the fake wine label. As much as I enjoy my new job, I do kinda miss designing stuff like that and I'm pretty much too lazy to do it on my off time so there's that. Anyway, here's the finished product.
We had a near catastrophe at 6am when Jeff realized that one of the sides has literally fallen off during the night. We had to do emergency surgery with some royal icing but it thankfully the patient made it through. This cake has turned out to be one of my favorites because while it's a crazy weird cake, it isn't bursting with squiggles or bright colors or pot roast or anything (NOT THAT THOSE THINGS ARE BAD) so it seems more elegant than some of the others. And it was delicious.

4 comments:

Gwen said...

Very nice. What was the cake and frosting flavor? How's the new job going?

Amy, Jeff and the kimchis said...

Thanks Allie!

Gwen- The cake was chocolate with a vanilla buttercream. It was mucho delicioso! The job is going pretty well. I'm VERY happy with the place and the people (mostly) so I can't realy complain even though I do.

Anonymous said...

I love the added effect of the shredded (fondant) paper surrounding the bottle. Also, make sure you label this so it goes to the "cake" link, because last time I looked, your mom's birthiversary cake didn't show up when I emailed the cake page to someone.

Anonymous said...

Amy, Another awsome cake. You are amazing and you make me proud.