Friday, December 4, 2009

Today will probably not be quite as exciting.

So, do you know what happened last year on this day?? I got our travel call to go get Max. I was sitting at my desk at my still kinda new job and I was depressed because my sweet friend Connie had already gotten her call and I was having a total pity party for myself. I was even listening to my "sad songs" playlist on my iPhone. I can't explain it but even though we waited years and months for this to happen, the last 48 hours of waiting before the travel call were the WORST. I remember my phone ringing and seeing the unfamiliar number and knowing who it was and freezing for a second because I was almost too scared to answer because it was SO EFFING REAL NOW. On the other end, I heard a woman's voice asking for me and telling me she was from Holt and asking if I had time to talk. I laughed this weird psycho squawky laugh that is not my normal laugh and only comes out when I'm wigged out and told her that I would always have time for this phone call and she laughed and said "this is your travel call!" and I squealed loud enough that a few co-workers came by to see what the hell was going on. The rest of the conversation was kind of a blur but I vividly remember that part. The next couple of days were a frenzy of phone calls and packing and double checking paperwork and more packing and freaking out and shopping and having no idea what was in store for me and finally getting on the nicest plane I've ever been on to fly over the Arctic circle to the other side of the world to meet this baby who was going to come home with us. The same baby who is now sitting on his dump truck reading a book and talking on his phone like he's been here forever. I had no idea then that I was down to the last couple days of the old me, the me that stayed out late and slept in, the me who had an office job and wore office clothes, the me who went about her life without worrying about getting home for a nap or whether we had enough milk. Some days I really miss that me but most days I look at him and remember what we've gone through and realize that the new us is pretty okay, too.

5 comments:

LM said...

Hard to believe that you brought him home a year ago next week. Doesn't seem possible.I am thankful for him too, as I have really enjoyed having a new miniature buddy. One who I can teach all the curse words to when you are gone and I'm babysitting. Just kidding.

Allie said...

Wow! Almost a year already! That's amazing!

Kait said...

That's so awesome. It's amazing how quickly it all changes and how different everything really is once that kid comes in like a tornado.

jan the mom and grandmom said...

Besides giving birth to you and Laura it truly was one of my best days ever in my life. He is a treasure and joy and we love him so much.

Connie said...

I remember those emails with you and being totally SHOCKED to get the call -- took the call in the bathroom at Monsanto; I still get chills when I walk in there :) -- and not wanting to tell you because all your paperwork was a few days ahead of ours. So glad to know you, Jeff and MAX!